Friday, November 23, 2012

Your life is happening right now, don't miss it.






     Something I always tell people is, and those of you who know me have heard me say it many times, “Life is happening now”.  It’s not happening tomorrow or next week.  It’s not happening when you graduate, when you finally get married, when you get released from jail, when you retire, when you receive your inheritance, when you get that new job, when your children have grown up, when you lose weight and finally get in shape, Life is happening now.  Right now!  So enjoy the moment, saver it and make the very best out of right now.  Live as hard as you can, right now.  Be in the moment and take note of it.  Take pleasure in the now, the sites, the sounds, the smells that are all around you.  Be observant and focus on now.  Delight in the many blessing in your life.  Don’t worry about what you don’t have or be jealous of what your neighbor has.  Life is too short for that kind of thinking.   

     We’ve all heard the saying that tomorrow is not promised.  Tomorrow, huh, five minutes from now is not promised.  You could have a stroke or a heart attack before you even finish reading this blog.  There is no guarantee that you are going to wake up in the morning, in fact, many of you actually won’t.  Death has no required age.  There’s no time table.  Death comes when it comes.  The only thing that is for sure is that it will happen to all of us.  Your time and your life are equally precious so don’t waist them being lazy or being afraid.  So many people spend their lives being afraid of what others might say or might think.  You cannot live for other people and you cannot please everyone.   

     Something I like to remember in regards to loved ones is, every time you see them, every time you speak to them on the phone, may be the last time.  I remember the last time I saw my dear mother.  I had come home to visit her from the military and it was time for me to leave.  I hugged her, I kissed her on the cheek and said, “Mama I love you”.  Then I snapped a quick photo of her and got on my way.  A few months later I stayed up late at night talking to her on the phone, telling her my plans for the future.  The next morning I received a phone call telling me my beloved mother had passed.  My mother was my very best friend and her passing crushed my very soul.  Fortunately for me I had always kept in contact with my mother and always been open and honest about my feelings.  I was always good to my mother and tried not to give her reason to worry.  There was nothing left unsaid and nothing left undone.  I had been a good son and she had been a good mother.  Live for the now, and live in the now.
Dane Gilkey

2 comments:

  1. Wow Dane! Very well said and also very true! Live for today and always guard your heart! What you say and feel today, shapes your next moment! Be POSITIVE at All times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dane! That is so very true! We must all be highly aware of what we say and feel in the here and now. We must learn to guard our hearts by not operating on fleshly emotions but in spirit because like I said, what we say and feel in the here and now, dictates the outcome of our next moments in life!

    ReplyDelete